Thursday, June 27, 2013

My First 5.25 Days as Miss Vermont 2013:


I know the first thing you are wondering is, “why 5.25? Why not six or five?”- I am thinking of it in that way because technically I didn’t become Miss Vermont 2013 until about 10:00pm. It’s actually less than 0.25% of a day, but I am rounding up because we shouldn’t get too technical here. 

As many people know, I’ve competed for five years in this program. I always told people I came back each year because I loved the spectacular young women I competed with and because of the scholarship money I could put towards my education. Looking back on the past five summers, I have to also mention the development and growth that this program helps participants learn. I have obtained so many important skills that if I hadn’t won on that fateful Saturday night, I still would have felt like I had won in a different way. I have gained confidence, public speaking skills, fundraising ability, made professional connections, received money to help fund my education and met some of the best friends that I will have for the rest (not kidding here) of my life. 

As an example of how the Miss Vermont Scholarship Program has helped me become a successful young woman (yeah! one of the four points of the crown!)- I give you this fun fact about me: 
I am the 2013 Vermont Truman Scholar. Not many people know what this is (hey, I didn’t even know until the fellowships advisor give me the low down) but it’s “kind of a big deal” as Ron Burgundy would say. Here’s a quick summary of what the Truman is: A scholarship and the legacy of President Truman for Junior undergraduate students who are committed to serving in government/nonprofits/education/public service and who show “exceptional” leadership (you can visit their website here for more information). The foundation thinks that Truman Scholars are so great that they are willing to give us $30,000 to put towards our graduate education and then we have the honor of calling ourselves “Truman Scholars”. I was able to meet the other 61 people chosen to represent their states and I am so in awe of each and every one of them. These are the movers and shakers of the future. While I was in Missouri at the Truman Library I made a funny comparison: being part of a Truman family must what it’s like to be part of the Miss America sisterhood...
My Truman class at the Truman Library!
Which brings me back to my point of, whoa- I just won Miss Vermont! That just happened! I feel so blessed to be able to have so many different people that I call family and I am excited to be able to add my Miss America class as another. When I think about it, I feel like this:
Only a dancing polar bear could accurately describe this feeling
But this is getting too sentimental. Let's lighten it up a little. Here's what my life has been since Saturday night!

Saturday- post crowning: I went back home with my mom, my embarrassing amount of luggage and enough presents and flowers to open a store. I immediately put on my pajamas (Miss Vermont tradition) and sat in the living room with some of my closest friends celebrating (mostly them celebrating and me thinking “Am I dreaming? This must be a dream.... Gee, I hope I wake up tomorrow for interview and remember this feeling”). I’m sure that it will be one of my favorite nights of my year. You just can’t beat having people who love you who are there to share in your happiest moments.  

Hearing my name called as Miss Vermont 2013 
Huge smile as I walk towards my Outstanding Teen
Hugging one of my best friends who came from Massachusetts to watch me! I was definitely sobbing before this photo...
Miss Vermont 2010 and Miss Vermont 2013- Finally sisters! 
Taking a photo with an incredible panel of judges

Monday- Outstanding Teen, Chloe Johnson, and I had our official business meeting to go over information about Miss America’s Outstanding Teen and Miss America. We both got helpful and wonderful feedback from our judges panel (Shout out to: Angie Rodriguez, Stacy James, Marianne Kennedy, Alex Nagiba and Jeffery Jew!). After eating a delicious brunch hosted by the Sheraton Burlington, Chloe and I made our way to Walmart to go see what Miss Vermont 2012, Chelsea Ingram, was doing to support the official swimwear sponsor of Miss America, Catalina. It was exciting to see what my year ahead would be like as we posed for pictures with people and signed our (first!) autographs. Chelsea also taught me how to properly secure the crown to my head because I was afraid if I looked down it would fall off (no judgement people, I’d never put one on before! It's a pageant superstition). When the appearance was finished, I headed home to tackle my Miss Vermont email, calendar and paperwork. 

Chloe, Rylee and me at Walmart supporting Catalina Swimwear
Tuesday- Chloe and I arrived bright and early at the official hair sponsor, Scherdiva Salon, to be glammed up for some photos and our first televised appearance on our local news station WCAX. It was humid as all get up, but luckily Robert and his team worked his magic and I had fabulous Miss America hair. WCAX’s morning news anchor, Molly Smith, was there to interview us and she is fabulous and so friendly. Molly made my first official interview as Miss Vermont a breeze. Chloe and I had fun chatting at the picnic table outside the studios and we taught Molly a few skills she could bring to a pageant stage (see the interview here). When we finished at WCAX, Chloe and I headed to Up Country Photography to get some photos done and make sure that Chloe had her official headshot ready to go for nationals! It was a lot of fun to be primped and photographed (Robert was there to spray away straggle hairs with his magical humidity resistant hairspray). I felt like a hollywood star and I can’t wait to see the photos. After a long but fun day, I returned home to do more paperwork. 
Chloe and me at Scherdiva Salon before heading to WCAX. 
Behind the scenes at Up Country Photography
Wednesday- I had a regular day as “Jeanelle” and went to work (although the Assistant Manager did write “Miss Vermont” on the daily sheet instead of my name). It can be easy to forget amidst the eyelashes and autograph cards- that all of these girls who are now "Miss States", including myself, are just regular people. Even though I am now going to Miss America... bills still need to get paid, I still struggle with brushing the tease out my hair and I am a hardworking nursing student. I'm really just a regular and relatable person. After my regular day at work I returned home to do... (you guessed it) paperwork. 

Thursday- That’s today! It’s an office day- work on paperwork, confirm appearances for Independence Day parades, write a blog post so people don’t think I’m a hermit (I swear once my Miss America paperwork is submitted, I WILL get off the computer). I did teak a break and went to see the official Miss Vermont personal training sponsor, Poulin Performance, where I learned something interesting about my ribcage- but that’s a whole other blogpost. 


My makeshift "office". I really needed some Vitamin D
Now that we are all up to speed and have a better understanding "A Day in the Life" or more accurately "5.25 Days" in the life of a Miss Vermont, I'll leave you with these thoughts: 
1.  I am so excited to be a representative of this amazing state, but I am more excited to meet the spectacular people who live here! So if you see me around town, please, say “hi” and introduce yourself. 
2.  I am thankful that I really enjoy office supplies, organizing and filling out paperwork because the last few days could have been a struggle. 
3. I need to do updates/posts more frequently because this year is going to be filled with incredible things and this is quite a novel! 

So everyone, please follow my year on Twitter (@MissVermont2013), facebook (Miss Vermont Organization page) and if anyone has any questions that they have always wanted to ask a Miss Vermont (I know you have them and it’s ok!) you can email me at missvermont2013@missvermont.org. 

It's time to take a break from the computer screen and cook up some grub. Thanks for reading! 

Your Miss Vermont 2013
(I just had to do it!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment